Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Bond That's Hard to Break

Hi, my name is Ben.

JEREMY: Hey, what's up?

I have something for Jeremy.

ME: I wanted to give you your graduation present.
JEREMY: Oh, I thought maybe you were here to see Jackson.
ME: No, he's meeting me at the mall in a little while.
JEREMY: Well, come in. I never say 'No' to a gift.

I sat down on the couch in the living room.

Once Jeremy was next to me, I took out the card.

JEREMY: Please tell me it's not ten bucks and a 'Go get 'em kid.'
ME: Not exactly.

His mouth dropped when he saw the tickets.

JEREMY: Ben, these tickets are impossible to get. This is the hottest show on Broadway right now.
ME: I'm aware.
JEREMY: These must have been a fortune.
ME: Just a small one.
JEREMY: Why would you--

I kissed him. I leaned over and kissed him.

He pulled back right away, and stood up.

JEREMY: This isn't happening.
ME: Why not?
JEREMY: Um, Jackson?
ME: You mean the guy who slept with your ex-boyfriend?
JEREMY: I mean, my brother.
ME: I thought I could date him and it would...
JEREMY: I don't need to be hearing this.
ME: I love you.

Oh God...

I just said that.

Out loud.

JEREMY: You need to leave now.
ME: I've changed, okay? I've changed, and I've changed because of you. I can be a good person, but I can't be a good person if I can't be with you.
JEREMY: That--really can't be my problem, Ben. I'm sorry, but--
ME: Do you hate me?
JEREMY: OF COURSE I DON'T HATE YOU!
ME: THEN WHY ARE YOU YELLING?
JEREMY: I DON'T KNOW!

The door opened.

PAIGE: Um, hi guys.

Cue sister to heighten awkward moment.

PAIGE: I...uh...
JEREMY: Is something wrong?
PAIGE: Do you remember when Jackson was in the hospital and they thought he was going to lose his kidney?
JEREMY: Yeah.
PAIGE: I was going to give him mine.
JEREMY: You didn't tell me that.
PAIGE: I was tested, but...he didn't need it, so--
ME: So great. Jeremy and I were talking and--
PAIGE: I wasn't a match.
ME: Okay. Well, that's not abnormal.
PAIGE: No, you don't understand. I wasn't a match. They did some testing, and...

Jeremy looked like he'd just been slapped across the face.

But Paige looked worse.

PAIGE: Jackson's not my brother.

Jeremy grabbed my arm. I put it around his waist. He was shaking.

PAIGE: Jeremy, that means I'm not your sister.

That was when he straight up passed out.

No comments: