Friday, January 30, 2009

Why Can't We Be Friends...with Benefits

Hi, my name is Joey.

DAVIS: Put on your clothes and get off my bed.

I'm not having much luck lately.

I showed up at Davis' apartment, let myself in using the key under the mat, stripped down to my Spiderman briefs, and waited for him to show up.

In hindsight, it wasn't the best idea.

DAVIS: Are you insane?
ME: No, I'm sexually frustrated.
DAVIS: I have enough people trying to get in bed with me without you adding your name to the list.
ME: What am I supposed to do? Cal's gone. Max and I are broken up. Carter won't return my phone calls--
DAVIS: You've been calling Carter!
ME: I'M DESPERATE!

I've never had to try this hard to get attention. It's turning me into a lunatic.

JEREMY: No way.

See what I mean? I'm even propositioning Jeremy.

We were in the Fish Bowl, and I was trying to find a taker--or a giver--whatever.

ME: Why not?
JEREMY: Joey, I'm too busy for this.
ME: C'mon, aren't you curious?
JEREMY: I'm curious as to why people sit in basements playing Rock Band for hours on end. You, I'm not so curious about. Sorry.

Eli walked into the room just as I was about to take Jeremy by force.

JEREMY: Eli, can you have sex with Joey so he'll stop bugging me?
ELI: Ummm...no.
ME: I hate you both.
ELI: If you're looking to get out some extra energy, you should do Tommy with me.
JEREMY: He means the musical, not some boy named Tommy.
ME: Where are you doing that?
ELI: Fitzy Playhouse.
ME: Community Theater? No thanks.
JEREMY: I'm sorry. When did you turn into Ben Vereen? It might be a good experience. Plus, Eli's right, it'll get your mind out of your pants.
ELI: And onto the stage!

Silence.

ELI: Sorry, I think I jumped on the wrong pep wagon.

I promised Eli I'd consider doing the show, and then headed off to my next class. On the way there, my phone rang.

ME: Hello?
VOICE: Hey Joey.

Oh my God.

ME: Cal! Are you all right?
CAL: It's...um...I can't really talk.
ME: What happened to you? Where have you been?
CAL: Joey, I don't have much time.
ME: Okay. What's going on?
CAL: One of the people we know is very, very dangerous. You need to stay away from them.
ME: Who?
CAL: It's--

But the call cut out. I was walking near the English building, which is notorious for bad service. I tried to find the number he called from, but it was restricted.

So one of the CBQ's was bad news, and Cal knew about it. Did that mean one of them was responsible for his disappearance?

Now I had something to keep me occupied.

I was going to find out what happened to Cal.

No comments: