Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Eli the Star

Hi, my name is Eli.

ME:  Where's my dressing room?  Laughter, but seriously.  I'm an artist.  LIES!  Hahaha--okay then.

I've decided to take on community theater.

After not being taken seriously at school, it seemed only reasonable to say fuck the poh-lice (the poh-lice being my professors slash directors slash jerk-offs) and make my star shine somewhere else.

NATHAN:  I feel cheesy just standing here.
BEN:  Ditto.
ME:  Guys!  Be positive.
BEN:  Eli, never tell a gay man to be positive.
NATHAN:  Is Guffman showing up anytime soon?
ME:  If you're just going to be mean, why did you come?
NATHAN:  Are you kidding?
BEN:  For the comedic value.

The audition was being held in a hall that would normally be used for retirement parties and bar mitzvahs.  But tonight, it was going to be rocking.

The auditions were for The Who's Tommy.

NATHAN:  How are they going to do the molestation scene in a church basement?
VOICE:  The show's not here.

We all turned around to see a guy our age standing near the stage.

RANDOM GUY:  I've done a few shows with this company.  They perform at a local high school.
BEN:  It just keeps getting better.

The random guy was pretty interesting.  Tattoos, piercings, good wardrobe--I might be in trouble here.  Time to psych this guy out with some scare tactics.

ME:  So you're auditioning?  Because I hear the director's a total douche.
ROCKER GUY:  No, I'm not auditioning.

Thank God.

ROCKER GUY:  I'm directing.

Fuck me.

BEN:  Way to go, Olivier.  Why don't you insult his mother while you're at it?

The Director laughed.  Maybe I hadn't killed my chance yet.

ROCKER BOY:  I'm Skyler.  Nice to meet you.

Nathan leaned over and whispered to me.

NATHAN:  He's kind of cute.
ME:  I wouldn't know.
NATHAN:  I hope you sound more convincing at your audition.

Skyler clapped his hands.

SKYLER:  Okay, everybody!  We're starting in a minute.

Ben and Nathan both gave me a pat on the back.

ME:  Are you guys leaving me here?
NATHAN:  We've seen enough.
ME:  What about being supportive friends?
BEN:  Awww, you're funny.
NATHAN:  Break yourself, fool.

They left and the audition commenced.  I actually did pretty well.  After staying till the end, Skyler called me over.

SKYLER:  You know, normally I'd call after talking things over with the board, but I'd like to offer you the role right now.
ME:  The role of Dancer #3?
SKYLER:  Noooo.  The role of Tommy.
ME:  Wait, but, the show's called Tommy.
SKYLER:  Yeah...You know that's good, right?
ME:  YEAH!

Finally, someone who appreciates my talent.

SKYLER:  Do you want to go get a drink or something to celebrate?
ME:  You know, I would, but I have to call everyone I know and gloat.
SKYLER:  It's cool.  I'm just glad there's someone working on this show whose gay besides me.

And he walked away.

...I meant to correct him, but...

Why mess with success?

No comments: