Saturday, January 10, 2009

Ben's Old Flame

Hi, my name is Ben.

ME: Can I talk to you for a second?

You probably already know my ex-boyfriend, Billy.

BILLY: Sure.

We used to date.
Bad break-up.
He hates my guts now.

The usual.

ME: We can use Dr. Invisible's Office.

Dr. Invisible is what we call the professor who does not reside in Office 121 in the Theater building at school. For some reason, nobody's ever occupied that office, and it's usually the go-to place for private meetings, like the one I was about to have with Billy.

I'd been planning all summer for this. It was the start of a plan to get back the one that got away, and what better day to start than the first of school.

ME: Excited to be a sophomore?
BILLY: Actually I think sophomore year is the worst. You're not new anymore, but you're not exactly wise either.
ME: You don't think you've gotten any wiser?
BILLY: Considering I just spent the summer waiting for a boy who told me he didn't want to be with me as soon as he got back? No, I don't feel very wise.

I shut the door of the office. Billy leaned against the desk that's never used, and I sat down next to him, leaving enough space so that he wouldn't feel uncomfortable.

Listen and learn, boys and girls.

ME: Jeremy can be a real idiot.
BILLY: I think I'm the idiot.
ME: Why do you say that?
BILLY: Come on, Ben. Guys only want me until they get me and then they get sick of me.
ME: What are you talking about?

He looked at me.

ME: I didn't get sick of you.
BILLY: Then why did we break up?
ME: Because I'm as big of an idiot as Jeremy is.
BILLY: I guess that's possible.

I laughed, and then inched a little closer to him.

ME: The reason I wanted to talk to you is because...Um....Well, this is a little embarrassing, but...

He nodded his head sweetly to show me he was already being supportive.

God, I just wanted to throw him down on the desk and rip his clothes off.

Patience, I told myself.

ME: I think Nathan is cheating on me.

Billy fell off the desk--literally.

I helped him up, glad to see my confession had the desired effect. This whole plan would only work if Nathan didn't screw up his end of it, but I'd spent the entire summer prepping him, so it didn't seem likely that he would.

BILLY: How do you know this?
ME: A boyfriend knows.
BILLY: Have you asked him?
ME: How can I?
BILLY: Say--'Hey Ho, you cheatin'?'
ME: I'm afraid if I confront him with it, he'll leave me.
BILLY: And that would be bad?
ME: Billy, I can't be alone. It would kill me.
BILLY: So you're going to stay with someone who's cheating on you?
ME: What choice do I have?

Billy took a deep breath. Then he put his hand on my shoulder. Sympathy--oh how glorious it felt.

BILLY: Well, whatever you decide to do, I'm here for you.
ME: Thanks. That means a lot.
BILLY: I know you and I haven't...I know things have been rough, but I don't think anybody deserves to have their heart stepped on. I hope you change your mind about staying with him if he's cheating on you.
ME: Maybe I'll get the courage to, if I have enough friendly support.

Billy laughed and gave me a hug. I waited for about three seconds, and I pulled away slowly so I could look in his eyes.

Bingo.

We had one of those intense, heated stares where you want to kiss and then--

ME: I should go.
BILLY: Uh...yeah.
ME: Thanks. For everything.
BILLY: No problem.
ME: Sure thing.

I left the office. As soon as I turned away from Billy, I started smiling. I couldn't help it. The kid's sweet, but oh so predictable. He's got a savior complex. One so bad I'm surprised he doesn't walk around with a life vest just in case.

As soon as I figured that out, it became so clear how I could get him back.

I'd just throw myself in trouble, and wait for him to come rescue me.

No comments: