Saturday, February 16, 2008

Nathan Sinclair

Hi, my name is Billy.

MURRAY: Welcome to the first rehearsal for Pirates.

This is my first college musical.

MURRAY: I hope you're all happy to be here.

I would have been happier with my original role, but that's a hole I dug myself.

Still, you couldn't help but get that exciting "I'm in a show" feeling when you're sitting in a group of people you know holding sheet music in your hand.

Ritchie, Jeremy, Carter, Eli, and myself were all in the baritone section. Joey and Ben were in the tenor section, along a new guy I didn't recognize.

While the music director was teaching the girls their part, I leaned over and whispered to Carter.

ME: Who's the guy sitting next to Ben?

They were laughing quietly about something, and Ben was doing his typical--"I'm flirting with you, but in a discreet sort of way" thing.

CARTER: That's Nathan Sinclair. He's a dance major.
RITCHIE: Every show needs one.
ME: He's cute.
JEREMY: You think he's cute?
ME: Yeah.

I sort of did. Plus, I felt bad for him. Ben was clearly planning on making him his next victim.

RITCHIE: I don't know how I feel about Murray letting dance majors into the musical.
JEREMY: Ritchie, that is so awful.
RITCHIE: Dancers aren't theater people, Jeremy. They add this nasty competitive element to everything.
CARTER: You're saying we're not nasty and competitive?
RITCHIE: Maybe we are, but at the end of the day at least we all get together and eat chicken tenders at Happy's. Those people aren't--
JEREMY: Listen to yourself! Those people?

The music director told us to quiet down. Great, ten minutes into the first rehearsal and we're already getting into arguments.

ME: Maybe we could invite Nathan out to eat afterwards. You know, as a show of inclusiveness?
JEREMY: Great idea, Billy. I'm glad someone's up for bringing down the wall.
RITCHIE: Make fun all you want, but mark my words, Murray will regret putting that guy in this show.

I watched Ben take Nathan's phone and put his number in it.

Actually, at the end of all this, I think Nathan's going to be the one with a regret.

No comments: