Thursday, February 21, 2008

All Good Things Must End

Hi, my name is Jeremy.

RITCHIE: You got everything?

I'm moving out of my apartment.

Davis was a mess the entire morning. Though he holds in the fact that he's upset rather well, when push comes to shove, he tends to get really shaky.

As Ritchie was bringing my last box downstairs to my car, I could hear him in his bedroom reorganizing his desk and subsequently dropping everything on the floor.

I knew I couldn't leave him like that.

ME: Knock, knock.
DAVIS: Hey.
ME: Hey hey.
DAVIS: Shouldn't you be going?
ME: I am in a second. Just wanted to...you know.
DAVIS: What? Say good-bye?
ME: Well, yeah.
DAVIS: Don't bother. We're still going to be seeing each other all the time.
ME: I know but--
DAVIS: So this isn't a big deal or anything.
ME: No, of course not. But I mean, I'm leaving. The era of Jeremy and Davis is ending.
DAVIS: And oh, what an era it was.

He went to move his paper clip holder and it nearly hit the ground until I dove and caught it.

DAVIS: You didn't need to dive.
ME: You know I hate mess.

I handed him the holder and as I did, he pulled me in for a hug. Part of me thought I could feel a sob coming on, but Davis repressed it. As for me...

My eyes got a little teary. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

DAVIS: I can't believe you're leaving because of a boy.
ME: I'm not leaving because of a boy.

He pulled back to look at me. This was a newsflash. I'd been hiding behind the Joey excuse, but the truth was--

ME: The truth is, the only boy I'm leaving for is me.
DAVIS: Why?
ME: Look, when you started dating Joey, I realized something. I realized that I connect too much of myself to you. I'm John Davis' best friend, and I love that, but I don't love being just that. I took you having an affair with him so personally, because in a lot of ways, I felt like I was a part of the affair.
DAVIS: Jeremy, you're a huge part of my life.
ME: And I think my part in it needs to get just a little bit smaller. For both our sanities, and for our friendship.

He nodded. I could see this made sense to him.

DAVIS: So it's all for the best then, huh?
ME: I think so.
DAVIS: Do you want to jump around the apartment one last time?
ME: Um...YES.

Ritchie came back to find Davis and I bopping around like we usually do...did...at 3am after coming home from the clubs. We'd be wired, but we'd need to sleep, so we'd tire ourselves out by putting on Jackie Wilson's "Higher and Higher" and flailing like lunatics.

RITCHIE: Is this some sort of moving ritual I'm not aware of?
ME: Come on, Ritchie. Join in the fun.
RITCHIE: No, that's all right. I can see this is between you two. I'll be downstairs.

And for the next two minutes, it was just Davis and me.

All I could think was, Will it ever be this way again?

No comments: