Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Political Arrangement

Hi, my name is Davis.

JEREMY: You know, even when your book hits number one on the bestseller lists, they still don't send a limo to pick you up with a half-naked boy in it.
ME: I figured I might as well send him home in style.

I'd invited Jeremy to City Hall to discuss my reelection.

Liam joined us a few minutes later.

As for the half-naked boy, he was just a lunchtime fling. I'm half-sure that Liam knows I dabble every now and again, but I try not to rub his claws in it.

LIAM: We have to chat with you about helping Davis get a second term as Mayor.
JEREMY: Isn't it a little early to be discussing reelection?
ME: Are you kidding? We start discussing it the day after we win.
LIAM: We're only going to do one more term and then we're going to discuss possible Senate option.
JEREMY: Davis in the Senate? I should look into renewing my passport.
ME: Show him the t-shirt, Liam.

Liam held up a Team Tanner t-shirt.

JEREMY: That's what the fans of Tanner and Jason wear.
LIAM: There are a lot of them.
JEREMY: Well, there are actually more Brewster and Jason fans.
LIAM: And some Bobby and Jason--
JEREMY: I'm sorry, but why are we talking about fictional people?
ME: Because they're not really fictional. Tanner and Jason are me and you.
JEREMY: They're based on me and you, but--
LIAM: We think if you and Davis were to start dating and eventually get married--
JEREMY: WHAT?
LIAM: It could help his reelection chances.
JEREMY: Is this a joke?
ME: Even gay politicians need spouses nowadays. It's really sad.
JEREMY: But you're already married to Liam.
LIAM: We could quietly divorce.

This may sound shocking to you, but then again you never heard some of Liam's other proposals.

At one point, he wanted me to go sky-diving over the city with an "I Am Providence" parachute.

When I asked him where I would land, he looked at me as if there were a minor quibble.

JEREMY: You would divorce your husband just to win an election?
LIAM: We'd still be together. This is all just game-playing.
JEREMY: Well, I'm not into game-playing, and I have absolutely no urge to be a politician's wife--husband--whatever.
ME: C'mon, Jeremy. We always have a good time.
JEREMY: As friends, Davis. Not as a fraudulent married couple!
ME: You never see the bigger picture.

Jeremy stood up.

JEREMY: Davis, I am currently dealing with the return of Hydra--
ME: Your mother's back in town?
JEREMY: Along with editing a play so I can hand it over to Ben and then--hopefully--head back to New York so I can at least tie up some loose ends then. So I'm going to be a little too busy to be scamming the public with you. Sorry.

He took off without even a hug good-bye.

LIAM: Well, I guess that's out of the question. Maybe we could have you marry Jackson. Most people wouldn't know the difference.
ME: No, we'll stick with Jeremy. I'll just have to convince him the old-fashioned way.
LIAM: What do you mean?

I made him fall in love with me once.

I can do it again.

No comments: