Friday, April 11, 2008

The Tour

Hi, my name is Ritchie.

JEREMY: There you are.

This is going to be the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

JEREMY: We're going to be late for the party.
ME: I'm not going to the party.
JEREMY: Huh?

Jeremy and I were going to meet at his new place and then head over to Davis' for Joey's birthday party.

That was before I got the phone call.

ME: I'm driving to New York tonight.
JEREMY: Why? What's wrong?
ME: I got a tour.
JEREMY: A what?
ME: A tour! Like a National Tour!

Jeremy looked like he was going to say something and then instead just burst out screaming. I joined in with him. We both were hopping up and down and hugging.

Then it hit him.

JEREMY: So wait, that means you're--
ME: Taking off.
JEREMY: For how long?
ME: The details are kind of all over the place. At least a year, hopefully more.
JEREMY: So...wow.
ME: Yeah.

I gave him another hug, but this one was a little more somber.

RITCHIE: Tell everyone I said good-bye, okay? Especially Carter.
ME: I will.
RITCHIE: Promise me you'll look out for him.
ME: That's like asking me to put out an inferno with a dixie cup.
RITCHIE: Jeremy--
ME: Fine, fine. I promise.

We smiled at each other, and I could feel tears welling up in my eyes, and this bitch does not cry in front of anyone so--

ME: Well, before we bust out into "For Good," I should get going.
JEREMY: I can't believe you're making me go to this party alone.
ME: You'll be fine. You're the best loner I know.

He laughed.

JEREMY: I'm going to miss you.
ME: I'm going to miss you too--like crazy.
JEREMY: Go win a Tony or whatever they give cool touring people.
ME: A Maria maybe?
JEREMY: That was lame.
ME: Yeah, so much for leaving on a high note.

I walked to the elevator and got in, waving one last time as the doors shut on Jeremy and Providence for a good long time...

No comments: